INKOMOKO is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Business Development Advisors in charge of programs in Jijiga and Benshagul.
- Job Title: Business Development Advisors
- Job by INKOMOKO
- Location: Jijiga
- Closing Date: Feb 20, 2024
About the Company
Inkomoko supports entrepreneurs to grow their businesses in order to improve livelihoods, create jobs, and help communities thrive.
Founded in 2012, Inkomoko has worked with more than 60,000 entrepreneurs across East Africa, including thousands of refugee entrepreneurs. Inkomoko provides a combination of training, consulting, access to finance, and market-level systems change. We are the largest lender to refugee entrepreneurs in Africa.
Inkomoko has +390 staff in 30 offices across Rwanda, Kenya, Ethiopia, and South Sudan. Through Inkomoko’s 2030 strategic plan, we are adding 4 additional countries to improve the lives of more than 7.6M people by serving more than 550,000 entrepreneurs and investing $150M into refugee & host communities across Africa.
All staff at Inkomoko are connected to a shared set of organizational values:
- Purpose: be solutions-oriented, produce high-quality work, be a global leader.
- Achievement: push yourself to reach beyond what you previously thought possible.
- Improvement: be humble, engage in continuous growth through open & accurate feedback.
- Bravery: willing to take risks, create a safe space for others, be compassionate, inclusive.
- We Eat Goat: we celebrate success and support each other in hard times.
Inkomoko is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Refugees, women, and persons who reflect the diverse communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Opportunity
Inkomoko Ethiopia seeks a highly talented and experienced Business Development Advisor to work directly with entrepreneurs to help them develop the skills to scale their businesses.
Current responsibilities include:
- Manage training for all incoming refugee and host entrepreneurs in the Business Growth Department
- Recruit and ensure client target are achieved in assigned locations
- Implement training as part of the ongoing classes scheduled for Inkomoko entrepreneurs
- Deploy a wide variety of training methods both in person and digital – iterating as needed
- Develop new and review existing content to match entrepreneurs needs and refugee business dynamics;
- Draft training reports and update the online reports;
- Mobilize and follow up on entrepreneurs to ensure high attendance;
- Coordinate with Training Support Associate for smooth logistics;
- Participate in capacity building workshops on a range of topics related to business growth, including HR, accounting, finance, marketing, human centered design and innovation.
STRATEGIC ADVISING & ENTREPRENEUR RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT(50% time)
- Conduct business assessment to identify entrepreneurs needs and market opportunities
- Develop business strategies and comprehensive business plans for entrepreneurs
- Generate financial statements, forecasts, and profitability analyses for entrepreneurs
- Develop and implement accurate financial reporting and booking systems for entrepreneurs;
- Assist entrepreneurs with implementation of business plan recommendations;
- Advise entrepreneurs on financing and investment opportunities/challenges;
- Help entrepreneurs prepare for financing or investment opportunities (Investment and equity financing);
- Provide expert advice; help entrepreneurs to navigate challenges and make sound business decisions
- Conduct assessments of entrepreneur businesses to understand business needs, challenges, and opportunities;
- Conduct research on the industry, competitors, and customers;
- Manage entrepreneur relationships and provide a single point of contact for assigned entrepreneurs;
- Manage the schedule and delivery of services throughout entrepreneur engagements;
- Regularly track and report on progress of entrepreneur work and deliverables;
- Maintain and organize entrepreneur files
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION (10% time)
- General maintenance of entrepreneur files, reports and coordination with colleagues.
- Contribute to staff meetings, annual retreats, monthly entrepreneur Services meetings.
- Participation in on-going entrepreneur tracking and implementing Inkomoko’s impact evaluation programs every quarter/year
- Represent Inkomoko in partners meeting and any other events in camps as assigned
- Participate in the development of Inkomoko goals, strategies, and planning
- Represent Inkomoko in the local business community and at conferences or other events
- Keep up to date on latest business and industry trends in Ethiopia and across Africa
We are looking for individuals who are passionate about entrepreneurship, and have the skills and experience to help entrepreneurs make lasting change to their businesses. We are seeking candidates who work quickly and thoroughly, collaborate, and are both kind and serious.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Skilled/ with expertise in market linkages and value chain management to MSMEs;
- Excellent Somali, Amharic, English;
- Experience working in refugee settings with different nationalities in Jigjiga and to be a native from Jigjiga region would be an advantage;
- Background in finance or ability to produce financial reports/projections for entrepreneurs;
- Deep understanding of go-to market strategies and growth strategies for businesses in the area of consumer goods;
- Past experience writing business plans in preparation for investment;
- Ability to work with high-profile individuals and companies by demonstrating exemplar levels of professionalism;
- Strong presentation and training skills, and ability to teach others business concepts;
- Possess business acumen, original thinking;
- Excellent computer skills – including Powerpoint, Word, Excel, Odoo, Kobo-collect, Google Drive, etc;
- 3+ years’ experience, work with MSMEs is required;
- Bachelor’s degree required in a Business related field;
- Additional Master’s studies or CPA skills preferred;
- Good at translation from English to local languages (Somali), would be an advantage
- Ready to reside in Jigjiga
What You’ll Get
This role is inside a high-growth, mission-driven social enterprise. By joining, you’ll access:
- Competitive salary, and potential Goal-based bonus
- Incredible company culture, including deep investment in your learning and growth
- Diverse colleagues and policies that show our commitment to equity and inclusion
- Talented, passionate, and committed team colleagues across the region
- Ability to make a significant social impact to your community
- Generous health insurance, staff savings, parental leave, sabbatical, and more benefits.
How to Apply
If you’re excited about this role, please submit your application through the application portal.
Tell us about what you’ll bring to this growing company.
Inkomoko is committed to justice, diversity, equity and inclusion. As we seek to reflect the communities we serve, refugees and women are strongly encouraged to apply. As a company we have policies that ensure fair treatment in the application process.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Employment is conditional upon successful background checks and other verification as needed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and background screening checks. Inkomoko also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual misconduct, fraud, or abuse. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.